The BrickWood Ovens Forum - A place to discuss all things about Outdoor DIY Wood Fired Pizza Ovens and how to build them from the ground-up using Locally Sourced materials.
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
detzel

Reply with quote  #1 
Can I build the hearth on the base then flip them? 
My wife can't help lift these and our location is tricky as we'd have to carry them down a steep rocky area to get to the oven so I was thinking of building the base up first and then directly building and pouring the slab parts on top. When they are dry I can just flip and remove them from the frame and I won't have to worry about lifting them. Is this okay, how long should I let the base dry if I'm going to do this?

Can I build the oven while the insulation layer is drying?
It says it takes 6 days for the insulation layer to dry, is it okay to build the oven on top of that during that drying time? So basically pour that layer and then start to build the oven on top?
Spartan

Reply with quote  #2 
I poured my hearth on the stand and flipped them. Had no issues. Be careful because they are heavy. Poured mine in two pieces and they weighed about 500 lbs each.

I'll defer the second part to more experienced builders.
detzel

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan
I poured my hearth on the stand and flipped them. Had no issues. Be careful because they are heavy. Poured mine in two pieces and they weighed about 500 lbs each. I'll defer the second part to more experienced builders.

Cool, thanks, that's what I thought and was hoping to hear. I'm following the instructions as close as possible and it has it in three slabs which I would assume is 200-250lbs each so hopefully flipping them with two people is much easier than lifting.

How long did you let the base dry before starting the hearth?
Spartan

Reply with quote  #4 
Mine were larger so I let then set for a week. I had to pour them one at a time because space on top of the base.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

©  2015 BrickWood Ovens LLC   /   US & International Patents Pending