The BrickWood Ovens Forum - A place to discuss all things about Outdoor DIY Wood Fired Pizza Ovens and how to build them from the ground-up using Locally Sourced materials.
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
jjf825

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello,

I've tried using my new oven twice and I'm having a hard time getting the oven floor to heat up. The pizzas are taking a really long time to cook, and the crust really isn't getting done. Any pointers or tips? I usually start firing up the oven about an 1 hr - 1.5 hrs before I cook the pizza...is this not long enough?

Thanks!
Spartan

Reply with quote  #2 
Do you know your oven temperature and where are you starting your fire?
jjf825

Reply with quote  #3 
I can't say for sure what the temp is, I'll try to check that next time. I build the fire in the front middle.
Spartan

Reply with quote  #4 
Are you keeping the fire in the front center until ready to cook? Also, what type of work are you burning. Woods like oak and hickory create a hotter fire and develop coals to heat the surface better. Not sure what the problem is, just throwing out thoughts to see if it helps.
jjf825

Reply with quote  #5 
ok, thanks so much for the advice!
Art

Reply with quote  #6 
Start fire at least 2 hours before use.

Fill the oven with at least four charges of wood. Get the oven blazing with a lot of wood!

Wait until the wood is reduced to at least 3 inches high with hot coals.

Heap the coals on the cooking surface and rake them away just before placing pizza on it.

Between each pizza, rack hot coals back on the cooking surface to reheat it, then rake away to cook.

Maintaining a hot surface doesn't happen by itself!

Lots of luck, Art

Spartan

Reply with quote  #7 
Also reducing the oven entrance will help in heating and maintaining heat in the oven .
jjf825

Reply with quote  #8 
Perfect, thanks.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

©  2015 BrickWood Ovens LLC   /   US & International Patents Pending