The BrickWood Ovens Forum - A place to discuss all things about Outdoor DIY Wood Fired Pizza Ovens and how to build them from the ground-up using Locally Sourced materials.
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Unregistered
Reply with quote  #1 
What is the best insulation to use? My pizza cooks good on top but the bottom tends to stay white I want to some how insulate the bottom of the oven
TAYLOR

BrickWood Ovens Sales & Marketing Manager
Reply with quote  #2 
Can you send me a few pictures of the oven (and a few of the oven base construction if possible).  Let me see what you got going - and we'll find out what the issue is.

Also - plz tell me how you are heating up the oven - what is your process and how long does it take to get to baking temp.

Thanks!

BrickWoodOvens.com
Art

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
What is the best insulation to use? My pizza cooks good on top but the bottom tends to stay white I want to some how insulate the bottom of the oven
Art

Reply with quote  #4 
I have same problem with my 28" Castable domed oven. I followed the instructions exactly and used the supplied insulating mortar under the refractory brick.

The brick loses temperature rapidly after I rake away the coals. Drops to 350 degrees.

How can I keep the temperature up?

I thought of using a cast iron sheet held up with loose fire brick and leave the burning coals underneath.

Any other ideas?
Cab1060

Reply with quote  #5 
I have an issue with the exterior of my oven. I have an oven that I just finished. I have the oven with the ceramic fiber blanket, chicken wire, mortar, and then stucco. The instructions for the ceramic fiber blanket did not say to wrap around the chimney.
I went through all the curing fires and finally had my first cooking experience. I got the coals up to temp and then I noticed that the stucco where the chimney meets the oven, a crack that ran to the front edge of my oven.
Can someone please tell me a) has anyone heard or seen of this before, b) what can I do to stop this from happening again, c) any ideas of how to fix this so it doesn't happen after I put another coat of stucco over the whole oven?

Thank you so much. I was so bummed to see the crack after all the long hours to build the oven.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_1229.JPG, Views: 3, Size: 130.19 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_1231.JPG, Views: 4, Size: 129.10 KB 

Spartan

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab1060
I have an issue with the exterior of my oven. I have an oven that I just finished. I have the oven with the ceramic fiber blanket, chicken wire, mortar, and then stucco. The instructions for the ceramic fiber blanket did not say to wrap around the chimney.
I went through all the curing fires and finally had my first cooking experience. I got the coals up to temp and then I noticed that the stucco where the chimney meets the oven, a crack that ran to the front edge of my oven.
Can someone please tell me a) has anyone heard or seen of this before, b) what can I do to stop this from happening again, c) any ideas of how to fix this so it doesn't happen after I put another coat of stucco over the whole oven?

Thank you so much. I was so bummed to see the crack after all the long hours to build the oven.
Art

Reply with quote  #7 
No permanent fix for the cracks.

You can either try bandaid patching with stucco or redesign the oven with brick surrounding the chimney.

Mine cracked in many places and I cover it when not in use and just live with it.

Art
Spartan

Reply with quote  #8 
I didn't insulate the chimney. I used brick veneer and not a stucco finish. The only crack I have so far is where I added brick to reduce the opening. They all crack but heating the oven slowly will reduce cracking.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

©  2015 BrickWood Ovens LLC   /   US & International Patents Pending