The BrickWood Ovens Forum - A place to discuss all things about Outdoor DIY Wood Fired Pizza Ovens and how to build them from the ground-up using Locally Sourced materials.
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
jclubb

Reply with quote  #1 
In looking at the design of the Mattone Barile ovens I do not see a way to seal off the chimney to prevent heat loss during long baking times.  How do you prevent heat loss through the chimney?  I am thinking about longer cooking times at lower temps for things like bread, beans, roasts etc.

TIA
Jay
BrickWood Ovens

Reply with quote  #2 
Hello Jay -

While we are currently designing a low-cost damper system, the easiest and SUPER-INEXPENSIVE way to close off the chimney is to simply unscrew the DuraTech chimney cap (1/4 turn at it pops right off) and then simply place a piece of metal or flat / heat resistant object over the chimney opening to close-off the chimney.  Your local metal shop would be more than happy to provide you with an 8" x 8" piece of metal plate - they might charge $5 or so.

It's not sexy, but it is super-easy, inexpensive - but we do have a damper system in the pipeline.  

I'll shoot you an email once it is available in our store.

Thanks!
mwgideon

Reply with quote  #3 
just curious if you guys ever completed the damper system?
BrickWood Ovens

Reply with quote  #4 
Hello Jay -

We are working on two different styles of Barile damper systems.  One is for ovens that are already complete and the second is for ovens that are in the construction stage.  

The damper design that will be for ovens that are already built will be available soon and we will be sending an email to all of our past customers to let them know a damper system is available.. and we will be selling it to prior customers at cost!  No mark-up at all.  But to be honest, it's a very inexpensive damper.

The second damper system for ovens that are in the construction stage is still in test mode with several ovens across the state.  Once we feel that this damper is proven in the field, we will be applying the design for two separate patents.  Once the USPTO provides the registration numbers, we will then offer the system for resale on our website.

But again, I'll be sending emails to all of our customers very soon for a post-production oven damper system that we will be providing at cost.
mwgideon

Reply with quote  #5 
thanks for the update on the damper system... right now - I've put a firebricks on top and adjust the opening, which helps..
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

©  2015 BrickWood Ovens LLC   /   US & International Patents Pending