The BrickWood Ovens Forum - A place to discuss all things about Outdoor DIY Wood Fired Pizza Ovens and how to build them from the ground-up using Locally Sourced materials.
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
DMcR

Reply with quote  #1 
I know there was a similar question a couple years ago, but I have a bit of a different one. When I took out the foam form, I saw voids in the refractory mortar in my barille grande.  Someone asked if they should be filled in. The answer was if they are deeper than .5" it can be filled in.  

My question is, if I do not fill them in and they are deeper than .5" (more like 3/4 to 1") will that be a problem?  I put 4 layers of ceramic blanket on mine.
BrickWood Ovens

Reply with quote  #2 
If there are voids on the OUTSIDE - then yes, fill those in w/ high-temp mortar.

If there are voids on the INSIDE - and they are deeper than 1/2", then go ahead and fill those in w/ high-temp mortar.

If they are LESS than 1/2" in depth, and the oven has NOT BEEN FIRED YET, go ahead and fill it in - but keep an eye on that area.  

If if comes out, scrub or scrape that area clean and apply Rutland's high-temp mortar for chipped mortar - 

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rutland+10.3+mortar

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

©  2015 BrickWood Ovens LLC   /   US & International Patents Pending