The BrickWood Ovens Forum - A place to discuss all things about Outdoor DIY Wood Fired Pizza Ovens and how to build them from the ground-up using Locally Sourced materials.
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
bmckamey

Reply with quote  #1 
I am planning to apply a stucco finish over the insulation blanket layer per your directions. I would like to use a stucco tint or dye to add color while the stucco is wet, rather than painting the stucco after it dries. Any negatives or downsides to this approach?
BrickWood Ovens

Reply with quote  #2 
Dyeing or adding color to your stucco gives the stucco a nice, deep appearance that paint cannot provide.  I don't see any downsides or negatives to this approach.  You will still need to seal the oven as the addition of color is not a sealer - unlike paint.

By adding several layers of paint on top of stucco, you are in essence sealing the oven from the elements like rain, snow and spilled cans of Coke...  Plus - painting your oven gives you the option of providing a fresh coat of paint each spring which not only provides another layer of protection, but gives your oven that "new oven" look each year.

If you are going to stain or add a dye - be sure to seal your oven with a NON-TOXIC masonry sealer.  You will need the Gallon size sealer for your oven.

Kevin
Cab1060

Reply with quote  #3 
bmckamey, did you get any cracking around the chimney?  since the CFB does not go around the chimney, do you have any issues with heat and the stucco?  Thanks.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

©  2015 BrickWood Ovens LLC   /   US & International Patents Pending