Curing when its cold?

I purchased my Barile Grande Kit in June. Everyone I tried to line up to build it for me fell through and eventually got it started in Mid-September. It took forever to build because the guy was doing it on the side. Just got it finished a week or so ago, but I live in Southern PA and it’s COLD. Never dreamed the build would drag on as long as it did. It looks great and I’m grateful to have it finished, but not really sure how to proceed now? I’m wondering how I do the curing fires? Can I cure it now? Should I cure it now? Will the mortar dry in the cold? Will it crack? I’m not sure what to do. Does anyone have any knowledge regarding this? Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

Hi Kathy and welcome to the Brickwood forum.

That must have felt like forever for your oven to get completed, but I’m glad to hear it’s done!

Tough call, because the timing pushed you into the off season. If you are not planning to cook during these cold days, I’d cover the oven with a tarp to keep the weather off it and wait until spring to do your curing fires.

Technically you could do them now, as long as you follow the instructions to the letter. Low and slow, and don’t push it. The first three fires would soak some heat into your oven, and the last three would cure the fire stop mortar, which requires heat d to get really rock hard.

But…my oven was “in process” over two winters, and everything was fine. (I didn’t have a guy, and I could only put in a few hours when I could nab them from other work.)

You can really let it sit, and use the winter to plan your cooking program for the eight months coming up next spring!

Best wishes for your new oven, and many happy bakes!

1 Like

Thanks bikerbudmatt for your reply! After all the time and money spent, I’m excited to get it going, so I went ahead and started the curing fires. Cold or not, I’ll be cooking in the cold, lol!

1 Like