How do I adjust for differences in frame brick size?

Yes, before you install the plate. Let it set up, which should not take long. It’s heat resistant mortar, so it will only get rock-hard once you fire up the oven.

And yes, you absolutely can, and should, install the DuraTech plate as soon as you have a solid surface for it. You can count the time needed for the adhesive to set “in parallel” with the time it takes to stucco your oven and cure the stucco.

Good luck today!

Hi, Matt. Getting close to the finish. The first layer of stucco is in. As I look forward, I have a few more questions:

1. Do I need to close the front with firebrick and high-temperature mortar? I can make the mortar, but I do not have the firebrick. I have regular brick that will match the veneer I plan on using.

2. Do I have to veneer the oven BEFORE I cure or use it? I am thinking that I don’t given the insulation, but want to double check.

Thanks.

Hi Kirk,

You are fine on both counts. Firebrick would be preferred for closing off, but you can use regular brick as long as you still place it with the high temp mortar.

As for veneer, you don’t ever have to do it. You must protect your stucco. A good exterior deck paint was my choice. It has to be renewed annually.

If you decide later to veneer over the stucco, just scrub off soot and dull the paint surface first.

Good luck!

Hi, Matt.

At this point, stucco and chimney anchor are on (and both have cured for 4 and 5 days, respectively) and I just removed the foam mold. My next steps are to close off the front and to veneer the concrete blocks.

At this point, can I begin the curing process or does that have to wait until I close off the front?

Also, please see attached pictures. On the oven interior, I do have some mortar voids, but will refrain from filling them as you note. But I also have some excessive mortar as well. Should I refrain from chipping or grinding that off?

Thanks.

You’re cooking with gas now! (and, soon, wood!)

You are at a crossroads. If you decide to cure now, and start using the oven, you shouldn’t be closing off the front while you’re trying to do that. My suggestion would be to wait until after you close off, because the front will need to be cured as well. (The other choice is to put it off until near the end of this cooking season, but before cold weather is likely to set in. You need to shut down your oven while you close off if this is your choice.)

And no, do not try to chip off the excess mortar. You are likely to damage the firebrick, which is now your refractory lining, and once you have soot inside your oven, the mortar will not be noticeable. It does not harm anything for it to be there.

Your interior actually looks really, really good!

Matt, just providing an update.

I am cooking with fire now! Baked the first pizzas on Saturday night and then baked bread on Sunday morning. Pictures of my edible and nonedible work product attached. At this point, I am just finishing up some of the cosmetics on the oven – slimbrick veneer on the concrete block and chimney, clean the veneer, and paint the stucco shell. Also, seems like I may need a gasket for the door? There is a small space between the door and the oven at the top that if sealed might preserve a little heat.

Some stats:

1. hit 973 degrees
  2. Temps were 670 on the floor to sides/ceiling/back between high 800s and 973
  3. pizza took 3-4 minutes to cook (needed to get the bottoms nice and brown
  4. 7 hours after closing the damper in the chimney and putting the door on the oven was at 375 degrees. Since I wanted at least 425 for the bread, I threw on some kindling and a log.
  5. it probably took maybe 8 logs to reached the 973 degrees (I will pay closer attention next time). Does that seem about right?

Overall, I am very happy with the maiden voyage. Thanks again for all your help

2 Likes

Thanks for the check in, Kirk!

Yes, all your metrics from temperature to wood consumed are very typical, and if you are pulling 375 F in the morning that means your insulation is doing its job.

The BrickWood store has a full gasket kit for your door. I’ve priced out sourcing the components from elsewhere, and it’s in fact everything you need at a good price.

One piece of gratuitous advice: when your oven is blazing away at those temperatures, do not put the door in place. The heat will scorch those beautiful red oak handles. @brickwood has announced a replacement door handle kit is in development that will take care of the problem; in the meantime protect the handles you have. It’s okay to put the door on after you’ve stopped stoking a pizza-grade fire, especially when you plan to bake the next morning.

Congratulations on a gorgeous oven, Kirk!