Oven inside a gazebo or 3 season room

can any of these models be put inside a gazebo or 3 season room? I’m sure it wouldn’t pass “code”
But just wondering has anyone tried this. I am building a 18’ by 24’ building that can open up quite well. I already put a wood fireplace and would love to add a pizza oven. Could I attach a 6’ double walled stovepipe to this (pipe would be apx.14’) If I had the pipe self supporting so the weight wasn’t on the dome. Would it draft? I’ve included some images to show what I’m referring to and to show how the windows are large and open up the building quite a bit.
any suggestions?

Hi Aaron, and welcome to the BrickWood forum!

As you say, you do have a consideration about your local building codes, if any. Keep in mind that codes are in place to ensure building integrity and life safety, not to mention your neighbors’ sanity and cooperation.

That being said, if you look through the galleries there are a few folks who have done similar, sheltered builds. You already have a beautiful fireplace, so I’m sure you’ve considered the implications of having live flame and smoke in an enclosed space.

A wood-burning oven is more like a stove than a fireplace. Here are some things I think you must consider:

• The oven by its purpose and function burns much, much hotter than a fireplace. You need to be meticulous about construction, especially all instructions about insulation.
  • I would consider cement wallboard in the area immediately behind the oven.
  • I would use double-walled stovepipe (as it appears you have done with the fireplace), a heating-grade plate to pass the stovepipe through your roof, and extend the exterior stovepipe above the ridgeline of your roof. And of course, rain cap with spark arrestor.
  • Consider the area in an arc 60 inches in front of your oven as a potential landing area for sparks and embers. Outdoor ovens are generally situated on softscapes like turf or hardscapes like stone patio. Yours will be inside a wood-framed room.
  • Make sure you have allowed for fresh air ingress. Your oven consumes a lot of oxygen to keep the flames going. Again, that’s not a problem outdoors, but you will have to have fresh air o’plenty in an enclosure.

One final observation: looking at your photos, I’d want you to lay out the dimensions of your possible oven on the floor (lay out the slab dimensions, add 24 inches between oven and wall as a stand-off, and the 60-inch arc centered on the front line). Make sure you really feel comfortable with the space that a brick oven requires. If you are, then you’ve got an interesting build on your hands!

Let’s keep talking, and keep us posted on your progress, Aaron.

I would also do some research on floor loading. If you follow the Brickwood instructions you will end up with a very heavy structure and might need some extra bracing or joists in you floor, especially considering you already have a heavy looking fireplace.

1 Like

Hey guys thanks for the quick reply’s.
I have some more to add when I get a chance, but I just wanted to address the weight concern.
The fire place was placed on a 5’x5’by 6’deep cube, and the pizza oven I can’t remember exactly but I think it’s about 2 1/2 feet deep, both have crushed rock compacted under the foundation and are reinforced with rebar, also has fibers mixed into the concert at the plant before it was delivered.
I was thinking with the pizza oven that I could use cement blocks and fill the hols with concrete and rebar.
Hopefully that would take the weight of the oven.
I included a couple images for you to see.
Let me know if you think this would hold the oven properly.
Thanks
Aaron Spencer

Thanks for those additional photos.

Your support looks okay. You could build some variation on the concrete block walls that BrickWood includes in its plans and that would be very solid.

You would want to find some way to tie the block wall to the foundation slab, to avoid any possibility of shifting. A rebar bored into the slab at each corner and up into the corner voids of the block would work. Anchor it in the slab with construction adhesive and make sure you fill the voids in the concrete.

Wow! Looks like you have the mechanics under control.

The only other thing I can think of is, if you look at the galleries and I can confirm on mine too, that with the Barile sometime there will be smoke coming out the front of the oven. Sometimes a LOT of smoke.

I have no experience with the dome type ovens so I can’t comment on their smokiness.

1 Like