Re-cure oven after inactive period

I read somewhere that if a brick oven is not used for a period of time you should go through the curing process again.

Do you agree? If so, what would constitute a long time?

Thanks

The initial oven curing assures two things -

1. All of the moisture is out of the oven.
  2. All of the High-Temperature Mortar &/or Castable Refractory is fully cured and rock hard.

If it has been awhile since you fired your oven, it’s always a good idea to run through the curing process again. Why? To SLOWLY remove any and all moisture that may be in your oven (and hearth cooking surface).

Make sure you fire (cure) the oven w/ SMALL fires over 5 or 6 days - DO NOT make a large fire! Large fires will heat the oven rapidly and if there is any moisture in the oven, that moisture can turn into steam - and steam can easily crack your oven. Heck - steam can crack boulders!

Just heat the oven slowly and evenly over several days and make sure it is completely dry before you build a large fire.

1 Like

Ok great info, but what is the definition of “a while”

2 weeks, a month, 3 months, 6 months, more?

I would say… if you haven’t used your oven for more than 3 months, inspect the entire oven for moisture / dampness.

But if your oven is at all wet / damp, you need to slowly re-cure the oven to ensure all of the moisture is out before you fire the oven for cooking / baking use.

Thanks, that helps.

As it is to do with moisture, then I presume the local climate is relevant. If it hasn’t rained for 3-4 months then it shouldn’t be an issue - correct?

BINGO!

If you are in a place like AZ, NM, Southern Cal or Texas - and you only see rain every-so-often, then you don’t have to worry about it.

Here in Seattle (or similarly wet, gray and dreary locations), it’s advisable to keep your oven covered w/ a thick tarp to keep the rain / moisture out.

Keep in mind - masonry / brick ovens EAT plastic tarps in high winds, so place an old blanket or sheet on the oven BEFORE you place the plastic tarp on it. This will protect the tarp from shredding -

THX!