Size of concrete pad + how close to wooden fence?

So I’m looking to build a backyard pizza oven next summer but I want to pour the concrete pad before winter (Dec). So I’m wondering what dimensions I can use to make sure I have enough space. I see the base for the Mattone Barile Grande is 47” x 60” right?

Also how close can I build it to a wooden fence, I see 3ft is recommend. I assume the bugger will be so well insulated it wont get hot enough to burn down my cedar fence. Not sure that any outdoor wood fire other than a bbq is permitted in my very regulated town :slight_smile: but I may have to pass it off as a BBQ. Any hints on getting “creative” with building codes. Biggest concern is smoke, don’t want to smoke out my neighbor, but at higher temps I assume the smoke will be quite minimal.

Hi Richard and welcome to the BrickWood forums.

You are correct about the heat coming from the oven, since I presume the opening will be away from the fence.

But I do have a couple of concerns, which I’m expressing without seeing your yard layout.

Three feet clearance between the rear of your oven and the fence is about a doorway’s width of clearance. You will find it is tight during your build, and it may prove to be just the wrong amount of space once your oven is built: too much to ignore, but not enough to be comfortable walking through or to store anything substantial. That’s partially practical and partially aesthetic.

The other concern is the one you brought up about smoke reaching the neighbor, because just 3 feet from the fence and 5 feet from the chimney, it’s guaranteed to do that. If you have more space to pull it away from the fence, I’d strongly recommend you do so. Think of the area in between oven and fence as a buffer space, usable for anything from a woodpile to a low storage shed for your cooking supplies.

Every locality is different, and like yours, mine has some specific rules about setbacks. We have to have any outbuildings set back 10 feet from the property line, or 14 feet if the structure is over a certain height. One wonderful provision exempts structures intended for residential recreation from setback requirements (and the example they give is even for non-commercial cooking). So technically I could butt my oven as close to the fence as possible and the town would be silent about it.

But I have the space, so I set it back 14 feet as though it were a taller outbuilding. My neighbor to the East will still get some smoke but in 16 feet the chances are that it will have already started to blend with fresh air and not be a problem except for the delicious aroma.

Once your slab is poured you will lock yourself into a location, so if your layout allows it consider bringing it back from the fence at least a few feet.

Good luck with your slab and for sure we want to hear about your build!

I have about three feet behind mine, which is nice to be able to get behind it. I did four inches of insulation, so I can’t feel any heat at the back.

I’m a fairly big guy and Matt is right it was a little tight at times during the build.

Tell the town they’re Texas-style bbq flat breads.

Thanks for all the replies. We just had our first snow, bizarre - in Sept, but when things dry out a bit I’ll get back outside and see where the best pace for it with my new found information.

1 Like