Vent and Thermometer in Door

Installing a thermometer in the door looks easy enough. I would, though, like to put in a pinwheel damper along with the chimney damper so I can use the oven as a smoker as well. Has anyone put in such a damper? image

Hi Lovealoha,

Yes this type of damper has been used with great success. Check out the thread “custom built pizza oven door”. Tomaso build a door just what your looking for.

Hope this helps.

What I constructed is here on some thread…
here’s a picture…attached; need more info, let me know…IMG_1597

1 Like

Thanks. I bought the stock door with the kit and am wondering if I can cut a vent in to it. Yours looks fantastic!

I put three of these across the bottom of the stock door, they work great. I used the 4" ones.

Can you post some pictures? What tools did you use?

I used a 3/8" bit for all the holes, the center as well as the perimeter. The directions call for 1/2" holes for the perimeter, but the 3/8" work just fine.

I can heat the oven up with very little smoke coming out of the front

Those are some awesome ideas. Where did you get the wheels and thermometer?

You can cut through the stock metal door…I did: I cut venting to align with my marine vents, and I cut down the original door, so it became the “inside layer” for my new door.
I am constantly amazed at what can be accomplished with an angle saw (w. proper blade…).

You can cut through the stock metal door…I did: I cut venting to align with my marine vents, and I cut down the original door, so it became the “inside layer” for my new door.
I am constantly amazed at what can be accomplished with an angle saw (w. proper blade…).

(8/28) For my wood-framed door, I found what I wanted (small, circular, twist open) at a marine shop in Colorado…of all places: www.westmarine.com/buy/seadog-butterfly-vent-grill

The thermometer was a difficult search…Man-Law is the brand, and it can register up to 900 degrees F… Used to be available from several sources in the U.S. - but not at this time, apparently. I found a B.B.Q. shop in N.S.W.- Australia that does carry them, and bought one on sale from them; postage was crazy ($26.00 AU to the U.S.)…but with the favorable exchange rate I got just what I wanted, and paid about $28.00 U.S. - all told. AND>>>> It glows in the dark ! Whoo-whee !

All from Amazon:
4" Polar Array BBQ Grill, Smoker or Pit Air Venting Damper Kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00820VEOQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cooper-Atkins 2225-20 Stainless Steel Bi-Metals Industrial Flange Mount Thermometer, 200 to 1000 Degrees F Temperature Range: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DYC7UYA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’m thinking I should put some insulation on door; it gets pretty hot.