Brick for Slab Frame

Hello, I am building the Barile Grande and am going for the “Elias” Example look. I’m at the step of laying the standard brick around the slab to make the base frame, and am having a hard time finding standard brick. Would the standard concrete $.42 paver brick from Home Depot work? I will cover them with Veneer Bricks later, so I am not too concerned with the look, only structure. Thanks!

Here’s a link:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/INTERSTATE-BRICK-2-1-2-in-x-8-in-x-4-in-True-Paver-Baja-Select-Paving-Brick-PRO140000/202524794

Hi Matt!

My gut feeling is that, for the specific purpose you describe, it would work. My reasoning is that you’re trying to achieve dimension and build an enclosure for the hearth fire brick, which will be doing all the work of handling thermal loads. You will have the edges of the arch structure resting on these, but that load will be spread out over the entire border. Since they spec this at 13,260 psi, I think you’d be (way more than) fine.

1 Like

Thanks! How about the size difference? They are 2-1/2 in. x 8 in. x 4 in. and the Instructions call for 2-1/4 in. x 8 in. x 3-5/8 in. bricks.

You’ll have to lay them out and see. You may want to split one brick if the run ends up being too tight. You’re veneering over them so you won’t see it when you are done.