Can you mortar, stucco or tile over the hearth bricks?

Hi All! Newbie Here!!

I’m getting ready to pour my hearth this coming weekend. It is a bit of a custom design, but the final look will be the same as the plans.

Question: Can you mortar, stucco or tile over the hearth bricks?

My red, re-purposed bricks do not really match our style. Can I cover them when everything is done?

Sincerely,

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne, and welcome to the BrickWood forums!

I just want to clarify before I respond to your question: by the “hearth bricks” do you mean the outer edge of the hearth? Or are you talking about the firebrick inside the oven?

If you are talking about the outside frame, then yes, absolutely. You can finish that as you like. I just saw a finished oven where the builder used granite to cover the rough brick surface and it looked beautiful.

If you are talking about the inside of the oven (which is where we consider the “hearth bricks” to live), then no, absolutely not. Different kind of brick and very different job. The firebrick must be your facing contact surface for the fire; any treatments or coatings will affect either the coatings themselves or the food you’re cooking.

I’m so pleased you’re at this point with your build, and looking forward to seeing that custom work, Dwayne!

Thank you, Sir! Yes, I was talking about the outside frame. That will give me some options. I’m thinking about posting some “in progress” photos. Maybe someone can catch my mistakes…before I move to the next step!

Sincerely,

Dwayne

1 Like

Hi All,

Can someone confirm the recommended size of the “Insulation layer” and Firebrick layout? I am pouring a “monolith”? slab, and might end up with an odd shape. Due to depth, I will probably end up with a setup like the enclosed picture.

Sincerely,

Dwayne

1 Like

I covered mine, partly because I didn’t really want the red-brick look, also because my hearth brick work was a bit messy with the mortar. That’s what happens when you lay brick for the first time in your life, and its 100 degrees outside…things dry fast! Happily I can report no cracking of the black granite tiles I used, even though the sun keeps em’ at about 700 degrees lolz!

Hi Dwayne,

If I’m understanding your question correctly. Your firebrick, blanket and stucco is roughly 7 1/2 inches on each side.

Firebrick- 4.5 inches
Insulation- 2 inches (double layer as directed in instructions)
Stucco- 1 inch.

Hope I answered your question.

Hi 423 Tommy and Carlos! Sorry, I should have been more specific. I looking for the Width and length. The directions show (on page 5) 36" x 40.5". but I wanted to confirm.

Dwayne

I honestly didn’t even measure, due to ordering the foam form. I just layed the bricks on/behind it so it auto-measured for me the main brick tunnel/arch. Then I just kinda winged it, I used 2" of insulation on front, but 3’ on back to give it a “fatter” look in the rear (I know that sounds weird

). Then I put two layers of mortar and 3 of stucco so it’s really fat. I figured as long as the inside is right who cares how thick the outer layer is…at least that was my reasoning.

Ah I understand now. My instructions that I have say outside dimensions our 48 inches front to back and 40 inches side to side. These are from page 5. Now thats just the oven not the red clay bricks. Granted my instructions are from about 5 years ago. So I don’t know if they made a change. Unfortunately my oven now has a brick enclosure around it and I can not measure it. If my memory serves me it was close to the 40x48 dimension.

My advice is to give yourself some wiggle room. Or do what I did and make the top slab big enough to rest a glass of wine or any beverage to keep you and your guest hydrated while cooking your pizzas.

Carlos…got it. I think that’s my plan as well!

Dwayne

Thanks 423tommy. I think that’s the plan!

Dwayne

Bikerbudmatt,

I have started a photo"diary" in the Photo and Video section (DC Family Dual-Fuel Pizza Oven). I am detailing my build, along with discussions and photos of my natural gas burner. Hoping to pour concrete this weekend!

Sincerely,

Dwayne

1 Like