Removing the styrofoam mold

I did the same but used a basic crosscut hand saw. I took about 6" out of the top center and the two sides almost fell. A little pry bar effort and they were out.

2 Likes

This is great advice. I am about to remove my mold in a couple of days, and I also did not use any grease, so I was a little concerned. But you seem to have it figured out! I am going to try this method!

So, I tried something a little different. After finishing the barrel, but before building the back wall, I used my Sawzall to undercut the top mold over each of the legs, taking out just the inner half of the lip on the half-round.

I then proceeded to build my back wall and chimney base.

I pushed inward on one of the legs, and it slid out nicely from under the top piece. The other leg isn’t coming out as easily, but the top is now ready to come out — like a loose tooth.

Keep the experiences coming! I know that removing the mold is the single biggest concern voiced here about the oven kits, and these experiments can help future builders. Thanks everyone,

1 Like

My son pulled out the mold yesterday without too much trouble. We had greased it at the beginning, and he stuck a crowbar into each leg and then pried a bit at the top. One leg came out quickly, one took a tug, and the big arch just a little prying. Done in 15 minutes with me cheering on from the sidelines!

2 Likes