The Large Family Wood-Fired Outdoor Brick Pizza Oven in New York

“I would like to say the BrickWood Ovens Mattone Barile brick pizza oven kit was a perfect Christmas gift from my sister and brother-in-law in Tulalip, WA. Thanks for letting us share our experience!”

www.brickwoodovens.com/large-outdoor-wood-fired-pizza-oven-in-new-york-by-brickwood-ovens.html

How did you get the mortar under the top slabs once it was in place?

Not knowing how long it would take me to place those heavy slabs I didn’t risk placing any mortar beforehand. Because the slab weight would keep the top from going anywhere and because the top of my concrete blocks were perfectly level I figured that I could dispense with the mortar if needs be. So… I finally got all three slabs in place yesterday using the pallet forks of my tractor and the winch on my UTV. It was a 2 person job that took several hours over a span of two days so I’m glad I didn’t apply any mortar underneath. Next, I’ll use a strap and the pallet forks to lift each slab, slather mortar under and between them and nudge them back together. Wish me luck!

I also had a perfectly level concrete block base. No way I was going to be able to lower those slabs onto the mortar. I rented a material hoist from Home Depot and slid those babies on like Stonehenge. Only took me an hour and they didn’t move after that. If they weren’t level after I put them on I was going to lift up one end and shove some mortar in enough to level them.

A photo of that would be great. (Although if you don’t have one, that’s certainly understandable. Even with a hoist I imagine you had your hands full.)

I only have a picture of the finished move. My 13 year old son and I did it. The hoist was about 40 dollars to rent I think.