What should I choose if I want both an oven and a grill?

So this ends up looking an awful lot like the base for a Mattone Barile, with rebar just at the corners to keep things from moving.

I also notice you end up with another potential wood storage cubby if you want to use it that way.

Which option would I need to purchase if I’m wanting to build this, but am just wanting it to be a grill?

Do I just need the essentials kit? Or would I be better off going with Uruguayan Grill | Pampas Grill for Real Argentinian BBQ Flavor!?

I don’t think I would cook that way very often, but it could happen, and I’m just trying to figure out the best route to go.

Also would I be able to add the holder for pots later on as well as the rotisserie grill portion? Or does it all need to happen at the same time?

I’m trying to figure out which portions of the instructions need to be followed since I don’t plan to have a lower oven down there.

The Essentials Package contains:

• Stainless Steel Fibers (for hearth slab)
  • Stainless Hitches
  • Firebrick Guards
  • Threaded Rods w/ Flat Washers and Nuts
  • High-Temperature Silicone Adhesive

You need this for every function of the BrickWood Box -

But if you want to Smoke Meat and Bake - then you MUST have the Lower Oven Package.

If you don’t want to smoke meat / bake - you don’t need the Lower Oven Package - thus, you can build a standard BrickWood Box sans the Castable Refractory slab and Lower Oven Pkg.

1 Like

Thanks!

If I get Uruguayan Grill What does it add over the essentials kit? It doesn’t mention it.

Also would I be able to add the holder for pots later on as well as the rotisserie grill portion? Or does it all need to happen at the same time?

Uruguayan Grill - Still need the Essentials Package for the Stainless Steel Fibers (Hearth Slab)

Rotisserie - Still need the Essentials Package for the Stainless Hitches (Rotisserie Brackets).

You need the Essentials Package for all functions of the BrickWood Box. It’s like the spine…

1 Like

Right, I get that…im trying to figure out what more is added with the Uruguayan grill? What does it include?

Can the Rotisserie be added after the box has been built if I decide its needed? Or does it all need to be built at the same time?

Thanks!

Hi Chase,

Looking at the various parts lists, what you will get in the Essentials Package is a pair of hitches to build into the upper box. They are like hitch receivers on a vehicle: they accept the various accessories that can be added.

So, if you decide you want to add the Rotisserie later on, you will receive as part of that package a pair of Hitch Posts that slide into the hitches and are secured with pins. The Rotisserie is suspended from the tops of the Hitch Posts.

So the direct answer is: the Rotisserie can be added later. It does not all need to be built at the same time.

Annndd…make sure you allow a little breathing room in your design for the Hitch that is adjacent to other parts of your build.

PS: you have a choice of Hitch Nuts that are sold separately. They don’t come with the Essentials kit.

The Essentials kit has sockets and hitches and so on, including heavy-duty brick guards that also allow various accessories to be attached.

The Uruguayan grill looks like it is the grill itself, designed to attach to the guards either straight-across or at a 15° angle. You would have everything you need for using it by installing the Essentials.

If you’re referring to something like the “Cast Iron Dutch Oven Extension,” that slides onto a Hitch Post. That’s the same Hitch Post that is included with the Rotisserie, or you can order it separately. So, if you’re already planning on adding a Rotisserie, you’ll have what you need to use that Extension. And, yes, you can add it later.