Are Pacific Clay Fire Bricks Suitable for Pizza Ovens?

Sorry, Don again. I reread the string above and I seem to get two yeas and one nay on the Pacific Clay firebrick. Are they “in spec” ? And if not, what would be? What is a typical spec for “medium duty”? Other than "smoothness "?
Again, I thank you all in advance - I know i am being anal, but I want to start off with the right brick! And then of course there is the mortar…!

Hi AZDon. I too, am building my oven in the middle of an Arizona summer! I do have a little “Southwest Helper” (I’ll try to post a picture. I bought my Fire Brick at Home Depot? Are they not up to spec, or are looking for a more smooth finish? Can they be sanded a little, before or after placement?

Dwayne

1 Like

That’s a really pretty oven! Can’t wait to finish ours! Piggybacking on OPs question. I found a refectory through brick ovens directory and we’re going Saturday to buy the firebricks but I would like to make sure these are correct? As I have been searching everywhere that’s not so expensive! This company though is selling them at $1.60!!

Hi, Ana,

Yes, the dimensions are correct and this is rated as a “low duty firebrick.” This is exactly what you want.

And the price is the best I’ve seen anywhere, so looks like you hit the jackpot.

Do not let the phrase “low duty” mislead you. For these ovens a low duty or medium duty firebrick has the characteristics we need to refract the heat back into the oven cavity. They can withstand more heat than the oven cavity will generate, so you have a margin of safety built in.

2 Likes