Base opening wood storage

Hello everyone,

I just finished my base and the opening where the wood is stored is 33” wide. I am pouring in place the top and want to make sure this distance will be safe enough or do I need more support like adding half blocks down the center. What is the normal width of the base opening based on the instructions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi.
I think you will be fine. After all the plans are designed to hold the slabs weight. If you put half blocks in the middle it would not hurt but you will lose space for storing wood.Now because there was noway for me to lift the 3 slabs onto the base I too poured my top slab over the base.

I have to first mention that I filled all of the cinder blocks with cement except forcthe last row. Then I build the framework for the slab then poured it. The idea was to not only for the slab to be supported by the base but also for the slab to physically set into the base. I’ll attach some pictures to help illustrate.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

My base opening is 24.5 inches. I also did a single pour, but honestly wanted to avoid having to build supports and forms so I laid 8 concrete window lintels across the base, then poured the hearth slab on top of them.

1 Like

You good you built it right

2 Likes

That will work too. Nice job!

1 Like