Can I use a Marble Slab for the Pizza Oven Base?

Hello,
I have a large marble slab I would like to use instead of pouring concrete. One side is untreated. Is the vermiculite a necessity?

Could I use the slab, add vermiculite and then sand?

You’re going to want to use high-strength concrete w/ rebar to support that 1000+ lb pizza oven.

While the marble (and other natural stone / rock) looks great, they do NOT handle heat very well and are prone to crack. And w/out rebar in that slab, the bottom of your marble slab could easily crack, break, crumble and fail (over a period of time). But rebar and high-strength concrete will never fail.

Save that Marble Slab… heck, you could even open a Marble Slab Creamery franchise. You’re already halfway there :slight_smile:

But seriously - make sure you build the base to our specs and you will never, ever have an issue (that’s why we get such great product reviews - everything we offer or recommend is bulletproof).

Thx -

Kevin

1 Like

Although marble baking stones are not the favorite choice, there are many amateur bakers who swear by it. The plus side to marble is that it is an ideal material for rolling out pizza dough and pie crusts.