DC Family Dual-Fuel Pizza Oven Diary

Well…I finally tried a pizza! I made some Cacio e pepe with shrimp, as an appetizer and my usual fennel sausage pizza. It tasted good…but I had some rare “peel-release” issues. I was able to cast-in-place the rest of my island as well. Gettin’ there!

1 Like

How good did that pizza taste?

The peel release issues will go away. After eight years of building pizzas at home I think most of it is related to confidence and a belief that what lands on the hearth (or the steel, or the stone) is going to still look like a pizza when it comes off the peel. That confidence has to be rebuilt when you’re sliding your dough into a new environment.

You are rapidly becoming a concrete Jedi. Looking good, Dwayne!

Thanks Bikerbudmatt! Everything hurts, though…everything…

Dwayne

2 Likes

Hear ya. :laughing:

Don’t want to sound like I have a one-track mind, but there is a certain food that makes that feeling manageable …

hahahaha…on it! Gotta make more dough!

1 Like

Hi All,

I haven’t posted in a bit. It’s finally below 105F here in AZ…so I’m trying to finish up the rest of the stonework. Looking forward to posting my finished outdoor kitchen, so I can get on the Brickwood Gallery!
The grill area is pored, as well as the benchtops. A final stucco coat and concrete staining…and we’ll be done! We are using the oven often (usually not for pizza) and we are starting to understand how she works. It’s coming along!

2 Likes

Oh I forgot…Beer Can Chicken in the Oven!

2 Likes

Dwayne,

You’ve got Outdoor Cooking Headquarters going on there. That looks amazing! And I’m glad the heat finally broke a bit.

And Beer Can Chicken is one of my favorites! To me, it’s one of the best excuses for the existence of cheap beer!

1 Like

Hahahaha…thanks Matt! But the beer wasn’t too cheap!! They wanted $ 7.00 for Budweiser? SEVEN dollars?!! That’s pricey water!!

Dwayne

Wow! My idea of cheap beer is more like Milwaukee’s Finest.

Wait…Budweiser isn’t considered cheap beer? There’s cheaper (tasting)!!! The horror…the horror…

1 Like

Hey All!

I haven’t posted in a bit. Our outdoor backyard is 98% done. Just waiting on my friend to do his concrete staining. All the remaining “grey” colored concrete will be stained to look like Granite.
Until then…we are enjoying our AZ winter!

2 Likes

Ok…obviously not in order…

2 Likes

Hi Dwayne,

Thanks for these updated photos! I really love the backlighting in the last image. Even pending the granite look, this outdoor cooking arena is a work of art.

1 Like

Thanks Bikerbudmatt! You and BWO have made me fall in love with my backyard again. After 20 years…I was hating it. Now…I can’t wait to light her up!!

Dwayne

2 Likes