Front of oven covered by steel plate for an industrial look

I made this plate to close off front when starting fire to keep the smoke from coming out the front instead of going up the chimney

1 Like

Would you say it was effective, and did it extend the time needed to heat the oven up?

Finished 2nd stucco coat, insulated the chimney brick. Next step will be to frame the back and side walls and place the roof beams followed by cutting out the desired opening from the 36" x 48" x 1/4" sheet metal.

1 Like

Framed sides, back and put up 2 of the 3 beams; cut out the steel plate using the barile grande door as a template less an inch. Next will make an extension for the rod coming out of the damper so that it will poke out of the steel plate.

2 Likes

1 Like

This is really taking shape! Knowing from experience how much those beams can weigh, how did you get them hoisted and into place?

@BrickWood is really going to enjoy these photos. I know I am!

An old mini-excavator was used to strap the center point of the front beam to the bucket. It was then maneuvered behind the front posts. It’s height limit had been reached but we could place one end on the post cutout and then had to muscle the other end up about 6 inches. It was quite a challenge but no adversity is too great when it comes to decking out a pizza oven! Now moving on to paneling, preparing the roof, metal work and more. The project has become a monster but one step at a time will get this to an amazing end.

1 Like

You’ve said a mouthful. Or a slice worth’s.

I’m inspired!

Roof over pizza oven is coming together nicely. Getting closer to forming and pouring a concrete bar.

1 Like

Metal roofing on. Stone work progressing. Bar countertop formed and poured. Water, electrical and lights all hooked up and working. Looking to start the grill build soon.

1 Like

Stonework completed.

1 Like

This whole design is so well suited to the surrounding area. I think you’ve been very sensitive to how this build complements the natural environment. Needless to say, your stonework is impeccable.

Used for startup to keep smoke going up the chimney. Haven’t tried it yet, had back surgery so haven’t had a chance. Hopefully this week. I’ll let you know how it works.

Thanks for sharing the photo, Dale. I was wondering what had become of your project, and hope the surgery is bringing relief for your back! Looking forward to knowing how the new door works out for you.

Thought I’d make a few observations now that I’m just about done with the pizza oven project. The optional door is a “must have” and is used to direct the fire smoke up the chimney instead of out the front. Most of the heavy smoke is from the initial fire starting and if I place the door about an inch or so in front of the oven opening once I’ve started the fire, it works well at directing the smoke up and not out of the front opening. The temperature gauge, if you put one in the door, doesn’t really tell you much about the interior heat of the oven as you are bringing it up to the baking temperature so it looks good but doesn’t really serve a function for baking pizzas. I’m storing the baking utensils on the leeward side of the covering structure and that seems to be a good place for them. We brought water and electricity to the covering structure and I’m very glad we did. Peace of mind for the water and any fire danger, and the electricity allows for lighting and power and keeps extension cords away. The front overhang of the structure allowed me to put a large pull down projector screen and a sound bar out of the weather elements and leave them there. We’ve had a couple of pizza parties already and the pizzas came out fantastic right from the very first (probably lucky not to have burned any since it is remarkable at just how a pizza bakes in 2 or 3 minutes)! We use seasoned aspen for the firewood and it is burning beautifully. We are baking two pizzas side by side and were able to bake seven total pizzas without having to stop and reheat the baking surface. We’re hosting a wedding in a week or so and will be baking for 40 to 50 people! It will be chaos but a lot of fun for everyone.

Thank you Brickwood Ovens! Your products are fantastic and I encourage anyone thinking about building a pizza oven to become another very happy DIY customer. I’m happy to share my experience in building my oven with anyone but… “bikerbudmatt” is the encyclopedia britannica for information! …and the forum is great for answering a lot of questions.

1 Like

I’m just going to declare it now: this is a masterful build. You’ve truly taken this to a new level.

As you’ve seen, your oven is capable of turning out pizza that rivals a pizzeria, and in a hurry with some prep teamwork. Including utilities and shelter will make feeding that size wedding party a (chaotic) joy.

Your observations about the door are spot on. One tidbit of knowledge to share: as you’ve noted, the door has no function while actually baking pizza. The handles that currently ship with the door are as beautifully crafted as BWO describes on their site, but they are not suitable for the full 900°F+ heat of a roaring pizza-baking flame. They are great (and essential) for lower baking temperatures where you would use the door to retain heat, but the wood will start to scorch at that temperature. The way you describe using them now is the right way. Once your flames are well established you should take the door off.

I’m truly in awe of your work, and extend every good wish for future bakes — and for the wedding party that’s going to be blessed by some of the best celebration food they’ve ever tasted! Thanks again for sharing this project with us!

1 Like

Once again… the BAR has been RAISED!

Wow! This is a masterfully built oven! And the movie screen in the front of the structure - Pure Genius! This is a work of art that needs to be front, center and at the TOP of our photo gallery!

I can download the pics you attached, but they are small in size. If you still have the originals, could you send them to us when you have a moment? Submit Pictures and Videos of your BrickWood Ovens Project

I can guarantee that this oven / project is going to inspire hundreds of people to build something similar (but the original is ALWAYS the best).

Thank you @GVHarley for posting your progress and pics on the forum - and thank you @bikerbudmatt for the conversation!

Golden Trowel Award Winner!

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Recipes for pizza dough and cheesy garlic knots