House Family oven has begun

This fall I have started the build down here in SC…going to in corporate a low heat smoker under over in place of storage…bad idea?

Hi Scott, and welcome to the BrickWood forum.

Hey, interesting use for the space. Is this a separate unit that you plan to house in the base?

I think that’s fine. “Low heat” is the key, of course, but as you already know from building your base and slab, you’ve got a highly over-specced structure there.

I’m not familiar enough with smokers to know whether you still need some kind of venting system. What are you picturing for that?

Would love to see more photos as you continue your build. Good luck!

Hey Matt, thanks for reply. My plan was to build the smoker right into the bottom. When I built the base, I turned a 8x8x8 cinder block sideways for a rear vent. I’m having a door made to put in front and the door will have a damper to control the airflow…I think my logic works so we shall see. Worse case I stack wood in there!!!

That answers the question I had (or maybe the idea :slight_smile: ).

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. One suggestion: you might want to grab a tube of high-heat silicone mortar sealant and run a bead along the joint between the concrete blocks and the hearth slab. Usually we don’t worry about that area if there are any gaps, and it’s even desirable to have an air space or two for ventilation. But you don’t want ventilation; in fact it would be pretty alarming to see smoke coming out from UNDER your hearth, except at the door and damper.

And again, keeping your smoker fires low (and ideally isolated from the floor) is going to be important. The area above the hearth slab is designed for direct flame: facilitating it, containing it, and concentrating it safely. The area below the slab holds up your oven. You don’t want to do anything to compromise that.

I’d love to know if anyone else has done this and would jot a few lines about their experience.

Keep us posted, Scott!