Stucco around opening durability?

Our concrete is poured and we hope to start laying the block for our base next weekend. We’re planning on finishing our oven with stucco, can anyone comment on how stucco holds up over time around the ovens opening? We’re thinking about doing stucco over the fire brick . Anyway we’re excited about getting to that point and we’re kind of planning the decorating part as we go.
Thanks!
Aaron

Hi @Aaron,

Congratulations on getting the big slab poured. People are going to see the top of the oven, but you’re going to know just how much work went into building a firm foundation.

Stucco over the firebrick (actually, over the insulating blanket) is the standard way to build the oven—not an option. It’s mortar with reinforcing materials. Once it dries, it is waterproof and durable. It can be painted, and it can take some hard knocks. Some of the builds you see in the galleries stop at the stucco, because it makes a very attractive finish material all by itself.

You are using a mesh grid (a.k.a. chicken wire) to reinforce the stucco, especially around the oven opening. My advice would be to pay careful attention to application instructions, and allow sufficient curing time between the two coats. The mesh grid acts as a matrix to hold the stucco in place.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the next stages of your build!

Having just finished this step, I’d recommend leaving the first coat of stucco rough. The second coat will adhere more readily. Lesson learned the hard way.

Good luck!

Thank you to all, we poured the slab and the three pieces of slab in Phoenix in 107 degree heat… :crazy_face: oh well we’re still alive, but it is a lot of work. I understand the insulation/ stucco instructions, I was just wondering if stucco holds up if we stucco the front facing fire brick. Does heat effect it ?
Anyway we’re a long way from that point, I’m hoping to lay the block next weekend!
Thanks!
Aaron

Wow. Your slabs should cure pretty quickly. :crazy_face:

As we are clear on the basic stucco question, I’m wondering if others who have done it this way can share experiences.

Hope you’re rehydrating in good order, @Aaron!